Laboratories of the Research Departments 2 “Physics of Strength and Intellectual Diagnostic Systems” (NIO-2) were established under the RF Government grant provided for research projects supervised by leading scientists in Russian higher professional education establishments (under the Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation №220 dated April 9, 2010).
NIO-2 comprises nine laboratories with state-of-the-art testing equipment. It is staffed with highly qualified specialists, who have relevant education, professional training and experience in research activity (5 employees are certified with II and III level of qualification according to the Certification Rules for Testing Laboratories Personnel ).
RD-2 activities include research, experimental and development works in the following areas:
1. Physics of deformation and destruction of materials;
- Metallographic, electron-microscopic and rentgenostructural analyses of metals and alloys;
- analyses of physical and chemical characteristics of metals and alloys
- analysis of causes and mechanisms of destruction
- material fatigue, ways of controlling and enhancing fatigue resistance.
- hydrogen damage.
2. Destruction prognosis and non-destructive control:
- acoustic emission method;
- signals and massive data flows processing;
- design and development of intellectual diagnostic systems.
3. Perspective materials:
- constructional nanostructural materials:
- metallic glasses;
- ultra-fine-grained materials;
- composite materials;
- perspective steels.
4. Perspective Mg-alloys with improved properties complex:
- for aerospace engineering;
- for transport mechanical engineering;
- for biomedicine engineering.
5. Attestation and certification tests of materials and products:
- assessment of materials and products conformity to regulating requirements
- complex of general mechanical tests
- entire complex of metallographic analyses
- fractographic analysis
- analyses with the use of electronic scanning microscope, including x-ray structural microanalysis of materials
- identification of chemical compounds by using photoelectric spectral method; identification of a product material brand, identification of gas content in metals (O, N, H)
- technological friction and wear tests; evaluation of tribological characteristics of samples surfaces (including those within high temperature conditions)
- fatigue testing of materials in the range of schemes and temperatures
- technical diagnostics of objects including diagnostics by non-destructive method of acoustic emission
- development of heat treatment conditions of black and non-ferrous metals
- development of lubrication conditions and selection of lubricants
- defects detection and recommendations for their elimination
- complex analyses identifying reasons for products destruction during exploitation
NIO-2 comprises the following laboratories:
- Laboratory of physical and mechanical testing
- Laboratory of chemical composition analysis
- Laboratory of acoustic testing methods and design of diagnostic systems
- Laboratory of fatigue and technological testing
- Laboratory of precise electronic scanning microscopy
- Laboratory of rentgenostructural analysis
- Laboratory of metallography
- Laboratory of development testing
- Laboratory of electric-spark and vacuum-thermal treatment
- Laboratory of sample preparation
- Laboratory of precise sample preparation and special thermal treatment.